Wednesday 13 November 2013

JAY...OLATUNJI OKUSANYA JNR....the SON of MIC Funeral Home finally laid to rest today.






Background
My name is Olatunji Okusanya, I studied Banking and Finance at the University of Lagos and I work for MIC funeral home. I was born into the family that happens to have a stake in the funeral business. It all started from my grandfather, who used to be a furniture maker. He made solely caskets way back in 1946 and the business grew, started from Odunlami Street, and we are still in that business till now.

At some point in time, my father, after all his education abroad, decided to come into his father's industry and due to the advantage he had in terms of exposure, saw a new dimension to the business. He did not just start from making caskets but looked for other innovative things to re-brand the industry. He started to provide funeral services and selling caskets at the same time. The first set was the pall bearers, way back then the funeral hearses we used were from the local government. As at then it was the best. My father did an overhaul of the funeral industry starting from the hearse, pall bearers, and band and as at today we are visible among every Funeral Director in the world.

Starting
Right from when I was in primary school, after school hours I come to the office and see what is being done. I don't go home straight, day in day out. Even when I entered secondary school, my itineraries did not change. Anytime I am on holidays, I go to the office and do what I am asked to do. At that young age, I worked in every department, from helping to make the caskets in the furniture department to the last detail. It was not that I sit in the office, I even follow those delegated to buy planks and I had the opportunity from there.

I did not have the opportunity to play or hang around even when I went to the university; I still come around to learn the nitty-gritty of the business. Instead of just hanging around after lectures, I come down to the office still. I have tried to make my impact felt in everything that I do. That was how I got into the industry. Now, that we speak I have other businesses that I do but my first port of call is MIC Funeral Home, in which I have invested my resources and energy.

MIC
We have set the standards at MIC, not only in Nigeria but across the continents of Africa and the world. We have carved a niche and ensure that the standard set is not compromised. At least, the name MIC has become a household name when it comes to funeral services.

My Job
Basically, I am into business development in MIC, most of the time I do the background work. That does not mean that I don't do other things. Just like my father, who is into everything from casket making to embalmment of corpses to ensuring that the dead is given a qualitative and befitting burial, I follow the same trend. I am also on the field on a daily basis. Sometimes, we have 50 or 100 jobs in a week and I have to also be part of it. I organise funerals, basically I am a funeral director. I co-ordinate and monitor every bit of everything.

Hanging around is not something anyone should miss out on at any point in time. At the same time being a young chap. I may be tempted to say that I missed out hanging out with friends. But at the same time, when one looks at it, every successful man in the world does not play to achieve success. It takes a lot of hard work and more hard work. I have mentors and role models and all they tell me is to work harder.

So, why don't I do all the hardwork now and relax when I have grown grey hairs. I do not regret not having the opportunity of being in the streets when my peers were partying. I have been at work right from primary school. I have siblings who are also going through the same tutelage that I passed through, so it is not limited to me. The essence is to allow them choose the path they want. Yes, of course. That is part of what I do. I make up the dead too. We are into everything. 

...Funeral procession photos..today(13-11-13) at around 11am



















....we are the SinnersChapel wants to say a big...goodbye to you....OLATUNJI OKUSANYA JNR...a.k.a JAY(AMBASSADOR FOR THE DEAD)....Sun re ooo!


No comments:

Post a Comment